Today’s Social Skills Lesson
Today, your child was presented a social skills class coordinated by our counseling team. Here are some of the details:
- We began with our segment on mindfulness breathing and relaxing.
- Review of the Kind Words Challenge &“If you don’t show it, they won’t know it!”
- Today’s Topics:
- Self-Control: Review what to do when angry-using our steps of: 1. Stop, breathe, and count 2. Think what you are mad about and 3. Use a sentence that starts with “I feel”.
- Tattling /vs./Telling: Tattling is when we are trying to get the other person in trouble. Telling is when we are trying to get help.
- Teasing: How it can be risky. You (Kids) are growing and changing everyday. What is funny one day may not be the next. We risk unintentionally insulting another person.
- Bullying: Review definition of bullying and how is can be different then a mere argument between two people. NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO HURT YOU. YOU ARE SPECIAL!
- Definition: When someone intentionally, over and over, tries to hurt you with his or her body or words to make him/herself feel bigger/more powerful.
- Special steps to deal with Bullying:
- Ask the other person to stop
- Tell the other person to stop
- Tell a trusted adult
Please discuss with your child what he/she has learned from this lesson. It can provide a wonderful form of reinforcement of essential interpersonal skills.