Today’s Social Skills Lesson
Today, your child was presented a social skills class coordinated by our counseling team.
We began with a review of our school wide theme of “GRRR”: Granite Grizzlies are Responsible, Respectful and Ready to learn! The social skills classes each month will provide the skills to “GRRR”!
- We participated in a mindfulness breathing and relaxing exercise.
- We also reviewed “If you don’t show it, they won’t know it!”
- Today’s topics:
- Not Interrupting: Understanding that sometimes we have to wait and that sometimes a person might be busy thinking something and we may need to ask if they “have a moment”.
- Accepting “No” for an answer: Understanding that we need to take a deep breath, not whine or beg and accept the answer given. Accepting “No” in a respectful way will help the person consider “yes” in the future!
- Calming Down: 1. Stop, breathe, count. 2.THINK what you are mad about. 3. Use a sentence that starts with “I feel”.
- Thanking a person: Understanding that 1. Looking someone in the eye, 2. Using their name and 3. Thanking them for something very specific is important when expressing gratitude.
- Handshake: Understanding that a confident, strong and respectful handshake says a lot to a person and a lot about oneself.
Please discuss with your child what he/she has learned from this lesson. It can provide a wonderful form of reinforcement of essential interpersonal skills.