Principal’s News – December 2018
Tis the season. It’s the holidays. December is full of family activities with the opportunity to be around many people. This month encourage your child to interview grandparents, neighbors, or other acquaintances who have worked hard toward a long-term goal. Discuss how this perseverance and GRIT led to a great achievement. Talk about the hardships the person faced and the characteristics that pushed them forward to their achievement. This activity is a great reflection of the essential components of building resilience.
We are into the season of feasting. Take some time to analyze what you are eating and try to incorporate more of these foods into your dies:
- Avocados: a "fatty" food made up of the right kinds of fats that lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Bananas: a great source of B6 and blood-pressure-controlling potassium.
- Eggs: a good source of protein, low in saturated fat (not as cholesterol raising as once thought).
- Peanut Butter (as long as you have no peanut allergy). Peanuts are rich in heart healthy fats and contain a good source of magnesium. Use only peanut butter with no other add-ins, as most are unhealthy.
- And, as always, eat in moderation. Eating too much of any one thing, can be harmful.
- Happy Holidays!
To be able to guide your child with regard to Internet use, it is important to understand how children use the Internet and know what they like to do online. Let your child show you which websites they like visiting and what they do there. Acquiring technical knowledge could also make it easier to make the right decisions regarding your child’s Internet use.
Mrs. Mulqueen will be out of the building December 12th – December 19th. Mrs. Gleave will act as her replacement for that week. There will be district support available if there is a situation that needs administrative attention.
December 7 Career Day
December 12 10am PTA meeting
December 14 9:30-11:00 3rd grade Wax museum
December 20-January 1 Winter Break
Mark your Calendar: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 STEAM Night; 6:30-8:00pm