Principal’s News – January 2020
A new year and a new decade is just around the corner. Do you have plans for 2020? “Life is a challenge, meet it! Life is a dream, realize it! Life is a game, play it! Life is love, enjoy it!”
Mark your calendars for Tuesday, January 28th! We will hold our annual STEAM night at Granite Elementary from 6:30pm-8:00. We will have science experiments, sphero activities, math games, engineering, clay art, and more. Bring everyone for some family fun.
In continuing the 5 basics to cover during “the talk”, number 3 is:
DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE.
Just because it’s online doesn’t make it true. Not everybody is who they say they are.
· Younger kids: Teach kids to be detectives. Ask: How can you tell whether something is true online? What are some signs that something might not be true?
· Older kids: Use reputable sources. Learn to recognize red flags. Ask: How can you tell what’s a reliable source of information? What are some signs something’s a scam?
As part of our Idle Free campaign initiative we want to provide you with a few TIPS & TRICKS to help you be Idle Free. Small changes and individual actions make a difference when we all do our part.
Change Your Habits:
Turn off your car when you wait to pick someone up.
Turn off your car when you run into the store or a quick errand.
Turn off your car when you stop to talk to friends of family.
‘‘Tis the season to be eating....out! Here are some tips to help you keep the “gains” low.
1. Before you get to the restaurant, look at the menu on-line, so you can choose the healthiest menu item. A “plan” will help you avoid making a less wise choice.
2. Drink a glass of water before eating. This way you will eat less.
3. If you order appetizers, order lean items such a fresh shrimp.
4. Ordering pizza, choose thin crust, half the cheese and lots of veggies along with lean protein.
5. Order salad dressings on the side. Dip your fork in dressing, then into your salad.
January 6 First Day back from Winter Break
Social Skills with Mrs. Stolfa
January 8 10am PTA meeting
January 9 Meet the Masters Assembly
January 13 Repertory Dance Theatre Assembly
4:15pm SCC meeting
January 17 No School for students
January 20 No School
January 23 Bday table for Jan, Feb, and March
January 28 6:30pm-8:00pm STEAM night