Everybody can be great because everbody can serve. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Granite Elementary would like to encourage our community to join together in our celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a federal holiday that celebrates King’s birthday and honors his legacy of civil rights and service. Now, more than ever, it is important that we come together as a community and focus on serving our family and fellow neighbor.
Here are some ideas you may want to consider while celebrating this national day of service.
- Reading stories with your child about Martin Luther King’s Life, such as: My Brother Martin, by: Christine King Farris, I am Brave: I am Brave: A Little Book about Martin King Jr., by: Brad Meltzer.
- Bring meals to a homebound neighbor
- Service around your community, such as cleaning up a local park
- Shoveling snow/yard clean up for a neighbor
- Organize a food, clothing or book drive
- Write a note of encouragement and leave it on the porch
- Put together care kits for our local EMTs, fire fighters, police officers, nurses, doctors
The Granite Elementary Community has always been supportive and compassionate to one another and we hope this is yet another opportunity to consider coming together in a positive manner.