Granite Elementary School Community Council Bylaws
Elections for SCC Representatives:
- Notification of election dates and procedure for declaring interest in serving on the SCC will be provided via Skylert by mid May.
- Interest sheets will be collected and parents contacted for verification during the two weeks prior to the beginning of the school year.
- Elections will be held at the school in the fall if interest exceeds more than 20 total SCC members (17 parents/3 staff members).
- All elected positions are for 2 years terms.
- The term limit for the SCC Chair position is two consecutive, 2-years terms.
- SCC members must commit to attend a minimum of 70% of the scheduled SCC meeting during the school year.
The SCC will meet monthly. The majority of the council must approve of canceling and/or calling additional meetings. Meeting rescheduling will be done through email and then posted on the website when necessary.
The election for a chairperson and a recorder will occur at the first meeting in August. The Chair will conduct SCC meetings for the year, assist with SCC elections, and serve through the school year and following summer.
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely, finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda.
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations.
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times.
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room during meetings
- If for some reason a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Principal.
Leadership positions include:
- Principal: Creates agendas and conducts the meetings.
- Chair works with the Principal and conducts the meeting at the request of the Principal. Will be elected from either the parent or school employee group.
- Recorder: Takes notes at the meeting and creates the minutes for approval by the SCC. Is also responsible for recording the meeting.
A patron my bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Principal or Chair one week prior to the scheduled meeting and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by SCC include, but are not limited to:
- School Improvement Plan (CSIP)
- School Land Trust Plan
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs, professional development and issues relating to the community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement
- Safe Walking Route
- Digital Citizenship
- Cell Tower
- Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personnel issues
- Individual student information
These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.
- Revised/Created: 10/15 Approved: 11/16/15